IADK organized a roundtable with the subject: " THE DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES OF SHEEP AND GOAT SECTOR IN THE MITROVICA REGION"
The Roundtable took place on 17 November 2011 in restaurant "Victoria" in Zasellë - Mitrovica were representatives of municipalities, the Ministry of Agriculture, KVFA, veterinarians and farmers from Mitrovica region attended .
The issue s discussed during the meeting were:
• Is the Sheep and Goat sector a promising sector and whether there are opportunities for development?
• If yes, how should it be developed and in which areas is this needed?
• In which direction should IADK work in the sheeps and goats sector?
• How is the grant assistance from the Ministry of Agriculture in the sector of sheep and goats evaluated and what needs to be improved?
CONCLUSIONS RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE ROUNDTABLE:
·Farmers to be organized into associations for sheep and goats
Provide Advice Services
Lobbying / advocacy for policy, grants and subsidies
·Achieve regionalization of the development of sheep and goat sector (including geographic)
· The racial Improvement through the import of genetic material for artificial insemination
· The Municipalities are willing for co-development projects
· To establish a good cooperation between farmers, veterinarians and KVFA
· To create a link for recovery of meat and wool market
· Increasing the capacity on milk processing in farms
· Supporting the Ministry of Agriculture to expand subsidies for the new generation and allocate grants for
· Preventing of the infectious and parasitic diseases
the development of farms (stables, equipment, slaughterhouses, etc..)
· IADK to work on the sheep and goat sector